Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Essay #10 [Make up timed essay:Effect]


     The fear that comes with public speaking is unlike any other fear to be experienced.  My nerves bundle into one giant ball and I wait for it to explode.  I can imagine myself bursting into a heap of blood and guts all forming the words I am supposed to say.  With that in mind, the effect that public speaking has on me is equal to the effect a bomb would have on any cartoon character.  My body language is fidgety, my speech is slurred or stuttered, and the overall discomfort I feel is a lasting effect, even when I have finished.
     Some people have a natural knack for speaking to the public.  Unlike them, the first effect it has on me is the uncontrollable urge to fidget.  I want to constantly move.  It may be a rock back and forth, as if I should be in a strait jacket conversing with my invisible friend.  The one that never fails me is playing with my hands.  When I was younger I used to keep them in my mouth. As time passed I learned it’s easier to speak if they aren’t blocking my words.  I play with my jewelry, hoping if I keep turning my ring I may lose a finger and attempt this humiliation another day.  I try holding my hands hostage with each other.  Somehow it turns into a battle, and I have to separate them to my sides.  No matter how I try, holding still while speaking to the public is not easily achieved.
     Another effect that speaking in public has on me is my speaking itself.  If I were to have a regular conversation, I would say I’m well-articulated.  Sure, I have a slight Maine accent, but I can speak without sounding like a complete redneck.  That all changes when I’m placed in front of a crowd. At first I stutter and skip my words.  My minds trying to control my body, so the concentration on what I should be saying is minimal. Then I just start talking really fast.  One sentence becomes part of another and before you know it I’m halfway through my speech. So now slow it down.  My Maine accent becomes so thick, you couldn’t cut it with a knife.  Its not until I reach my last sentence that my speech is clear and it’s the best-spoken sentence of the entire thing.
       The last effect I have is just overall discomfort.  I’m sweaty, I’m nervous, I’m fighting with myself.  My clothes are all of a sudden too tight or clinging in the wrong places.  I’m worrying about the crowd. Should I picture them naked?  Ew.  Maybe I don’t want to do that.  Even after I’ve spit out that last sentence of my torturing experience, the discomfort is still there.  I know what my downfalls are, I can be sure everyone else saw them too. It’s a feeling that can’t be fixed until I’ve left the vicinity, and am only left with my own judgment.
     I have to admit, it’s been a while since I’ve had to speak publically.  I would have thought that after working in the public for 8 years the effect would have subsided.  I also figured being a bartender would help.  Speaking with strangers on a daily basis should be considered good practice for public speaking, especially when the majority of them are asshole.  However, I still find myself playing with my hands, or tossing a rag around.  The only sentence that I can speak well is “Can I get you a drink?” Let me not forget the discomfort of building up the courage for the initial “Hello.”  The effects are relentless, but I’m hoping by the time I have achieved my future career of teaching, I will have the skills to speak with grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment