Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Contrast Intros and graf 2


Intro 1
Five years ago I made the mistake of getting two puppies at once. One was a responsibility in itself, but two! What in the world was I thinking? They’re from the same litter, but the differences are impeccable. One is the brute. Her name is Pelta, which is Latin for Shield. The other is the runt. I named her Seven for my favorite number and for luck. Their personalities, markings, and life experiences are what made each puppy their own selves.

Inrto 2
For me a pet just isn’t an animal.  You don’t just get one to have something cute in your house.  You get one because you want to take care of it.  I once decided to take on the responsibility of raising two dogs at once.  They were just over the 8 week mark when I picked them out..  Originally I had only planned on getting one,  I was lucky to only get out with two.  I had the urge to grab up the entire litter of 8.  Ironically I chose the Brute of the liter, and the runt.  Already a difference in them.  Who would have known that the differences would only show more with time.  Their personalities, their coloring, and their life experiences are what make each puppy their own selves.

Graf 2?
Some say a dog is what you make it, but I think animals initially have their own set personalities. When I arrived at the house where I was expecting to only buy one puppy I was attentive to the mannerisms these cute balls of fur already had instilled. Pelta was the first to run up to me with her tail wagging and her tongue ready to give those little puppy kisses. She was bigger than the rest.  Seven was more hesitant and hid behind the leg of a couch. She was unsure what to think of this large person making kissy noises at her. Pelta became the leader of the two. She's the first to get in the garbage, the first to greet visitors, and the first to climb in bed, even before me. The word “No” isn't always in her list of words to listen to. Seven's always a step behind watching her. She looks for my approval before joining her sister. Luckily this meant she never gained the habit of dumpster diving. She listens well, and always lets me get comfortable in bed before she hops up and climbs under the covers. They definitely set each other apart, but both gained my love.



2 comments:

  1. Yes, your graf 2 is the idea--both dogs are in it and the topic is personality. You might try giving us all Pelta in the start of the graf and then reversing course with 7 in the second half by saying: "In contrast to her sister" or if that's too formal: "Seven is completely different...."

    But that's a refinement. I'd take graf 2 as is.

    The two intros both have good things and could be combined nicely. The only thing missing is the dogs' breed. Impossible to visualize unless I know if you adopted two St Bernards...or are they teacup poodles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i did have the breed in the third graf. but i did some switching and put it in the intro.

    ReplyDelete