Wednesday, October 3, 2012

GRAF #17 [Reaction to Remarks]


Sure, there are clearly three reasons laid out and enough detail to float those middle grafs. I'll take it.”

Knowing eventually I was going to have to write a reaction graf to this, I was thinking there was going to be an email or something with more to it. I guess this is it. At first I read it as if there was some chipperness to it. But the more I keep reading this sentence, I’m starting to wonder if it's just saying I’m meeting the bare minimum. There's no “This part was good” and “This part needs work” I think I was, or am expecting more feedback. At the same time I’m aware of  how busy you are. So I guess I'm not really sure what my reaction should be. Should I be enthused and know I did a good job, or should I be concerned and perhaps do some editing?

2 comments:

  1. Fair enough critique. Let me go back to the original essay and see what, if anything, I want to say about it or about my comment....

    Okay, I'm back. Believe me when I say that if there's a serious problem I will mention it. That's not to say I will pull a piece apart and analyze every single issue. As you say, there isn't time and there isn't any need either, not if the piece is competent, which yours certainly was.

    Competence in an essay is what I look for and when I find it, my job is nearly over. I expect good--not perfect--and your piece is good. You wrote a cause essay (and many of my 80 odd 101 students didn't), you put yourself into your piece (and again, many of your peers failed to do that), and you know your way around a sentence and a paragraph (and ditto.)

    So I was happy, but I can see how my lite commenting could make you second-guess everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not all you're light commenting makes me wonder, but this one in particular was tough to understand. Thank you for clarifying!

    ReplyDelete