Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Essay #1 Cause essay


          “I'm the first one!!!” I bragged about it through the hallways. In the main entrance, on the big bulletin board, I was the first name out of all the seniors in my class to be accepted to college. I was full of pride. High School wasn't the place for me, so working hard and graduating a semester early was a big accomplishment! I thought I was ready for bigger and better things, so only three days after graduating I packed my bags and shipped off to college. What 17 year old doesn't think they can take on their world no matter how unprepared they are? Looking back I see it was no surprised I failed. I had moved to fast, didn't put in the time to work hard, and partying of course was a huge factor!

Graduating on a Friday and starting college on the next Monday was not the best idea. Most high school graduates have a 3 month summer where they have an opportunity to adjust from being in high school to being a college student. It's an opportunity to experience the real world before being thrown into it. A chance to plan their future instead of playing it by ear. I had 3 days. On day one I received my congratulations, on day two I said my goodbyes, and on day 3 I said hello to my new life. I wish I had taken the time to adjust. I feel I would have succeeded.
Next were the courses. I took 4 on campus and one online. The 4 on campus were a distraction in itself from my class that was online, but also I was in a whole new place. I was making new friends and living in a city! I was no longer in a small town where a night of fun required a 45 minute drive. My life was in my hands, and I wanted to live it! I think it was during the 4th week of the semester that I knew I was slacking. I even tried giving the bare minimum, but with everything around me I couldn’t even succeed at that.
Who can forget those college parties. I was never a drinker, or even much of a social bird in high school, but college was a whole new story. The people were so kind and accepting. I don’t recall meeting one person that I didn't get along with. Drinking games were bringing us all together. The beer pong, Up and down the river, and once everyone was drunk enough we took a step back into our past and played spin the bottle. Being social and tipping back some beers became my new priority. I didn't need to pass my classes, I had a plethora of new friends! I wish I would have had the skills to priorities my responsibilities, then perhaps I wouldn't have failed.

Here I am almost 7 years later finally ready. Though I have many moments where I think 'I could be graduated already and have a career' I wouldn't trade my experience for anything. I learned through my failure that I was someone who needed to gain some maturity before putting anymore money and time (or lack there of) into my education. I have attempted college a few times between then and now, but I've never truly felt ready. Some people are blessed with the natural gift of being stern with themselves and getting school done as soon as possible, I however was someone who had to wait. I had to gain a stability in my life, and a confidence in myself. Now I know how to handle multiple responsibilities and I'm happy to say school is one of them. This time, I will succeed!

1 comment:

  1. Sure, there are clearly three reasons laid out and enough detail to float those middle grafs. I'll take it.

    ReplyDelete