Tuesday, September 11, 2012

isearch background


Throughout my life my mother has been my biggest influence to go into teaching. I never realized it until the past year though. I’ve seen her treat all her students with kindness. I’ve heard words of praise from all of her students, even the ones she had thirty years ago. She’s been an inspiration to me to be a kind, tolerant, and loyal person. I feel like I’ve grown into a person that has the drive to put everything she has taught me into a career.
When I was nineteen I started a job as an administrative secretary at a local school district. That was when I got a chance to do some substitute teaching. I have to admit that being a substitute is nothing like being the real teacher that does it every day, but as far as the students go I really enjoyed myself.
One experience I had was with kindergartners. We did an in class assignment where they had a piece of paper with 4 circles. I would say “lets pick up the blue crayon and color any one of those circles” once they were done I did the same with red, green, and yellow. All the kids were smiling and coloring hard. There was one young girl that was having a hard time and burst into tears. I walked over and told her it’s okay I’m here to help. I showed her the color and explained again she could color any circle she wanted to. She wiped her tears and continued to work.
I also got to experience teaching high school students at the vocational school. This was too boring for me. The teacher left a note “They know what to work on.” So I sat and twiddled my thumbs for hours on end. This helped me make the decision to NOT teach high school level. As well as the stacks of paperwork I've continuously seen on their desks over the years.
This brings me to now. I’ve narrowed it down that I would like to teach somewhere between the grades of 4th and 8th. I have no idea what subject I’d like to teach, I don’t know how much time will pass before I can even start teaching. I have very little knowledge of the career I’ve finally chosen. I just know I want to be able to impact lives the way I’ve seen my mother do.

1 comment:

  1. I think you skip over your mother's story too quickly--she's been the biggest influence but we don't really know what she teaches, what her career has been, and so on, and those things might be relevant to your search. So, maybe more there.

    ReplyDelete